Monday, February 2, 2009

Christianity seems so restrictive, isn’t it all about rules?

I have had people tell me, "Christians are boring, they can't do anything fun!" Others have told me that they have "tried Christianity" but it just wasn't "their thing." There seems to be this general perception that being a Christian is an absolutely miserable state of being because of all the rules. "Do this!" "Don't do that!" And for those who have actually given it a whirl they found it unsatisfying to have to keep all the rules but also give up all the things that they used to enjoy. So many eventually bail saying, "I gave it shot, but it just wasn't for me." I can relate! If I had come at Christianity from that direction my response would have been much the same.

The great thing is that Jesus, did not want us to come to Him or His Father by keeping rules. If that would have been possible He would have commended the Pharisees of his day for doing such a great job, but He did not. Just the opposite is the case, He said, "For I tell you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the Pharisees and the teachers of the law, you will certainly not enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:20) It is impossible to get to God by keeping rules! The Bible tells us that was never the purpose of all the rules. The purpose for all the rules was actually to show us that we always would fall short of perfection and deserving God's favor. This is because His favor can never be earned. It is instead given (and given undeservedly) to us through Jesus (Galatians 3:19).

Then, after we experience Jesus, an amazing thing begins to happen, He changes our hearts. The Bible says He "writes His law on our hearts." What we were unable to do or even truly want to do before (obey the rules) we now begin to do. We begin to obey not because of some rigid sense of legalism but because we now genuinely want to and enjoy doing so. He tells us that when we come to Him it is not a burdensome thing but a liberating thing. Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

If we try to approach God through rules we experience inevitable frustration, but if we approach Him through Jesus we find liberation. He said, "If you hold to my teaching (Coming to God through me and not rules), you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free." (John 8:31-32) Christianity is not about rules, it is about Jesus! He sets us free and changes our hearts so we can begin to behave more and more like Him.


Please share your thoughts,

Mike





If you are interested in learning more on this subject check out this podcast.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I think a lot of people feel that in order to gain God's acceptance or to enter the kingdom of heaven, etc. that they must "follow a set of rules". When really all we NEED to do is believe and accept him. Then we will want to have a personal relationship with him and this will transform us. None of us are perfect -- thank God for grace!